School Calls TCPA Settlement
- Obtain more details in regards to the class action lawsuit entitled Valladares v. Blackboard Connect Inc. and Blackboard Inc.
- This is another run of the mill class action lawsuit related to the
- The lead plaintiff in the case is named as Rafael Valladares
The School Calls TCPA Settlement class members claim that the defendants (aka Blackboard Inc. and Blackboard Connect) made unsolicited, prerecorded voice calls and texts to their cell phones which was in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The lead plaintiff Rafael Valladares filed the class action lawsuit back in May of 2020 when he got sick and tired of receiving numerous text message via the Chicago elementary school. According the School Calls TCPA Settlement documents “Valladares contends that he is not a parent of any child attending the school and repeatedly attempted to discontinue the school calls by contacting the school and explaining that the telephone number Blackboard was calling did not belong to a parent of a child attending the school”.
School Calls TCPA Settlement Notes
- Blackboard has agreed to a 7.5 million dollar settlement fund in order to avoid the uncertain outcome of a trial
- Any class members who want to be excluded from the settlement must do so by 11/21/16
- It is estimated that each class member will received around $60 per valid phone number
- All claim forms must be in by 11/21/2016 in order to receive a slice of the settlement pie
- The School Calls TCPA Settlement is case number 2016-CH-06482 and is under review in the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, County Department, Chancery Division
- Class members who file vaild claims will be represented by Myles McGuire, Evan M. Meyers, and Paul T. Geske
Who is a class member in the Valladares v. Blackboard Connect Inc. and Blackboard Inc. lawsuit? Anyone who received a non-emergency calls or text messages (without consent) from Blackboard Equipment between Dec. 22, 2010 and Sept. 1, 2020 are encouraged to file a claim ASAP. a
A settlement fairness hearing will take place on 1/4/17 to discuss if the 7.5 million dollar settlement is fair and reasonable (class members DO NOT have to attend in order to receive a settlement payout). Those who would like to request a claim form via US Mail can call 888-849-1312. Please return the claim form to: School Calls TCPA Settlement Settlement Administrator (Managed by Epiq Systems) PO Box 2838 Portland, OR 97208-2838.